Thursday 14 December 2006

Travelling for pegs

A few years ago, I and my DB (Dearly Beloved) went to Bali. I wouldn't say we went there JUST to look for pegs, but if I did, I would be telling the truth. Almost as soon as we had checked into our hotel, I dragged DB out to wander around town looking for clothes pegs but there were very few. I managed to buy one good packet and then we walked past the clothes stalls in a market swapping pegs from our new packet for those of the stallholders who were using them to hold clothes on hangers. Everything was pretty cheap and we enjoyed Bali, its temples and it's lovely gentle people. DB did manage to do a bit of sightseeing, but this blog is purely about pegs ..... so onto the next stop on our journey ..... Singapore.

I know this is just about pegs, but I have to tell you this ..... when we picked up a taxi at the airport to go to our hotel the driver was amused when we told him our destination. We nervously asked what the problem was and he said we would see many red lights and short skirts. Oh my goodness, just what has DB done. She books our hotels via the internet and this time she had booked us into a brothel. When we got there we found that all of the guests were booked in for two or three hours. I know that in the past I have stayed at hotels that I called brothels but I have never truly stayed at a real one till now. Still, it was clean the staff were polite and it was cheap. The concierge is also a collector so he understood my compulsion to buy pegs. He collects model airplanes. We were only there for a couple of nights, and the best place in Singapore for pegs is Chinatown where I bought 20 new pegs before setting off for the airport for our onward trip to Mumbai.

We had e-mailed our friendly taxi driver (Ronnie) in Bombay that our flight plans had been changed and we were sorry but we would now be arriving at 2 in the morning. Back came the reply from his wife "Ronnie likes you -- you are never a problem". We tried to get some sleep and then off to the mayhem of Crawford market next day. I explained that we wanted pegs to our Indian guide and I showed him the one's I already had. He said he would take us to the wholesaler -- smart guy eh!. Well we went up a dingy alley -- the smell was unbearable, past another alley with rats running everywhere and up some dark stone steps -- I was convinced we were going to be murdered. There, at the end of a deep dark hallway, was a peg collectors dream -- they were stacked floor to ceiling -- I found 32 new ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i travel a lot and have a lucky peg in my obligatory kit, so great to read about someone loving the humble invention of a peg!!
loveing it!!