Monday 27 April 2009

Pardon my French ....



On a recent trip to New Zealand, something made me look on Ebay France for pegs. In France they are called "pince a linge".

There was an old (ancienne) wooden peg with a price of 5 Euros. I do not speak French and as I could not understand where the seller was prepared to ship to, I took a gamble and entered my bid.

I was then nervous that the seller wouldn't post it to Australia so I typed out a question and asked good old Google to translate it.

I therefore sent the question in French and sure enough, back came the answer "2.5 Euros".

I am now the proud owner of the Ancienne Pince a Linge shown above.

This success gave me the confidence to bid on "12 tres vieilles pinces a linge zinc BSGDG a voir".



These very unusual steel pegs were 12 Euros plus 8 Euros postage with a few days to go before the auction finished. Someone overbid me and so I put in my maximum bid as 21 Euros and sat back for the final minutes of the auction. With 3 (yes THREE) seconds to go, I was outbid and lost these great pegs. Who in the world was prepared to put in a huge maximum bid for this lot?

Could it be a French museum I wonder?

If you know ..... do tell, s'il vous plait!!!

No comments: