Saturday 30 June 2007

T.V. or not T.V. .... that is the question


Well here is a strange looking item in my collection. Strictly speaking it shouldn't be there, but it is still a peg and illustrates one of the many uses that the humble clothes peg has been put to.

Apparently, when televisions were first introduced into America and they had more than one channel, the TVs weren't equipped with the means to change the channel ... can you believe that? No remotes? No twiddly knobs? How did they change to the other side?

Don't quote me, but I have been told that the householders put up an aerial or antenna for each channel and ran the cables down to their lounge.

Attached to the TV by wires and hanging down at the back were these pegs which they would use to connect the TV to the antenna - I wouldn't like to have changed channels when there was lightning about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike I`m searching for an unusual peg for a specific purpose...perhaps you could help me on my quest... thanks Barbara Wilson
Email barbara@tllc.com.au
phone 0396907498
mobile 0417108401