Tuesday 2 January 2007

Patent Postie . . .


Happy New Year to everyone.


It promises to be a good year in Pegland and I am very much looking forward to telling you lots of stories!! This story is about my first postal delivery of 2007.


Here in my part of the world, our postie rides a 90cc Honda motorcycle and drops our mail in the mailbox which is outside on the street rather than into the letterbox in the door like they do in UK. Parcels don't fit into the mailbox though, they get delivered to my door by a big postie van, so all the other people in the units nearby are jealous because I've got a parcel ... te he.
Well, with the first delivery of the New Year I received a packet of pegs. They arrived from America (no fancy stamps unfortunately, just one of those label things) in a very large box due to masses of protective bubblewrap. They were the white/light blue pegs at the bottom of the photo and were manufactured in China.


These particular soft grip pegs are of great interest to me because I am fascinated by the way people, over the years, have redesigned the clothes peg to get round the problem of patent infringement.


The pegs in this photo illustrate my point. Look at the dark blue peg. This is a French design, which I understand was patented by a firm called "Zebra" in January 2005. With its soft grip, which is not supposed to spoil your delicate clothes, it commands a higher price and has apparently gained about 8% of the world market in clothes pegs. That is an amazing level of sales, so it is no surprise that other enterprising manufacturers and designers have jumped on the bandwagon and there are at least half a dozen other pegs around which are extreeeeeeeeemely similar to the original French one. The French one is expensive when compared to regular clothes pegs ... would you pay more for that soft grip?


Have a look at the others in my photo. Subtle differences are there but are they enough to beat the patent? Most of them are made in China. Is this because the Chinese are imitating the French or because other global designers are asking the Chinese to manufacture them? Will the patents be tested in court? What is the cost of defending a patent? Perhaps someone with greater knowledge of patents will tell me but in the meantime, I leave you with my photos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi from France,

I'm also working on the clothes pin from a technical point of view.

Have you seen these new models:

India : http://differentialdesign.blogspot.com/2006/02/clotheline-clip.html

Russia : www.smirnovdesign.com/en/page1208.htm

Italy : www.architettonicamente.it/design_en.asp

and if you can read French (it's a song) :

La pince à linge
(Les Quatre Barbus) (paroles de Pierre Dac et Francis Blanche)

La pince à linge !
La pince à linge !
La pince à linge fut inventée en 1887
Par un nommé, par un nommé Jérémie-Victor Hopdebecq
Fils de son père, et de sa mère
Neveu d'son oncle et de sa tante
Et petit-fils de son grand-père
Frère de sa soeur et frère de lait d'un marchand d'beurre.

Pegmaniac said...

Thankyou anonymous - I have looked up the Indian, Russian and Italian pegs - the hardest part will be getting samples but I will try hard
Are there any other peg designs that you are interested in - I may have them - I have 1500 different designs - I try to add 100 a year to my collection
Pegmaniac

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.